How it works
The Public Libraries Evaluation Network is an Australian-wide data collection initiative designed to help libraries better understand the collective value they hold in our communities.
- Participating libraries subscribe to the Culture Counts Evaluation Platform accessing standardised survey templates, unlimited evaluations, in-built metrics, client support and training.
- Each library surveys public library users at least once annually on outcome measures and usage, using survey templates developed for the network to align with national guidelines for outcomes measurement.
- Libraries have unlimited flexibility to use the platform to evaluate their events, programs, special projects and more, with guidance and support from the Culture Counts team.
- Results collected and shared through the project contribute to a large body of evidence about the value of the sector as a whole, with participants able to access a dynamic, filterable big data dashboard.
- Culture Counts presents an anonymised Annual Report each July, illustrating the impact of the sector Australia-wide.
- Libraries receive a free online Snapshot Report annually, demonstrating the strength of their evaluation and celebrating the impact they have generated for their communities.
Data Sharing Agreement
Each participating library is asked to use the Culture Counts Evaluation Platform to survey public library users at least once annually using the survey templates provided, and share the results with the group.
Shared results are included in a big-data dashboard, prepared by Culture Counts in Power BI, that gives participating libraries the ability to view the aggregate impact of evaluations, as well as filter results by library, region, demographics and other custom classifiers. Summary (anonymised) results from the big-data dashboard are shared publicly as an annual report, to promote learnings for the sector.
Participating libraries can share evaluations directly through the platform. Click here for detailed instructions.
Culture Counts reminds libraries to share all possible evaluations in the lead-up to quarterly aggregate reporting. This is very important for the success of the project and the usefulness of the data to the group. For this reason, participating libraries are encouraged to share as many completed evaluations as possible at each stage of the project. Participating libraries are also asked to provide annual data related to library expenditure, collections, loans and visitation for inclusion in the big-data dashboard, in the form of a Culture Counts survey.